Veterans compete in the quad rugby event at the 2012 National Veterans Wheelchair Games.
Thursday, July 5, 2012
The 32nd National Veterans Wheelchair Games concluded on June 30 after a week of competition, camaraderie and inspiration.
Fifteen Veterans fearlessly represented VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System in a wide variety of events and rose above the competition to bring home medals. Please join us in saluting the award-winning athletes listed below.
- Joseph Allshouse – a bronze medal in bowling and a bronze medal in track
- James Balfe – a gold medal in track and a silver medal in bowling
- John Balocik – a gold medal in power soccer and a silver medal in bowling
- Jerry Baylor – 4 gold medals in track and a bronze medal in quad rugby (#13 in black pictured at right)
- Rory Cooper – 5 gold medals in swimming
- Glenn Gooden – a gold medal in slalom, a bronze medal in softball, and a bronze medal in weightlifting
- William Jakovac – a bronze medal in bowling
- Edwin Leeper – a gold medal in air guns, a bronze medal in bowling, and a bronze medal in nine ball
- Mark Rosensteel – a silver medal in bowling and a bronze medal in track
- Thomas Strang – 3 gold medals in track and a bronze medal in air guns
- Robert Szoszorek – a gold medal in trapshooting
Congratulations to all athletes for unmatched sportsmanship and perseverance!
Many of these courageous athletes are already getting ready for next year. The 33rd National Veterans Wheelchair Games will be held July 13 - 18, 2013, in Tampa, Fla.
Dominic Ruperto, a young Pittsburgh resident, was a familiar face at the 31st Games, co-hosted by VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System last year. Ruperto also joined our Veteran athletes in Richmond and can't wait for Tampa.
For more on this year's Games, including photos, newsletters, and even videos, visit both the VA's Games website and the Paralyzed Veterans of America's Games page.