Jobs & Careers
By working for the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the Nation, you’ll have access to a wider range of opportunities and leadership positions at your fingertips.
VA Pittsburgh treats more than 60,000 Veterans each year, from elderly World War II Veterans, to baby boomer Vietnam Vets, to today's younger heroes. Career opportunities are available in many fields, including clinical, administrative, and supporting professions.
The Human Resources Department is located in the Administration Building on the H.J. Heinz campus. Call 412-822-3550 for more information.
Veteran Recruitment Appointment
Veteran Recruitment Appointment allows VA Pittsburgh to hire eligible Veterans without competition to positions at any grade level through GS-11. Learn more and how to apply.
Current job openings at VA Pittsburgh:*
- Registered Nurse: Evening/Night (Long-Term Care - Patient Care Service)
- Psychologist (CTAD)
- Physician (Anesthesiologist)
- Nursing Assistant - Patient Care Service (Community Living Center)
- Physician (Hospitalist)
- Physician(Sleep Medicine)
- Physician (Primary Care Floater)
- Physician (Thoracic Surgeon)
- Physician (Urologist)
- Licensed Practical Nurse (Primary Care)
- Registered Nurse (Inpatient Psychiatric - Patient Care Service)
- Physician (Emergency Department)
- Social Worker (Transition & Care Management)
- MRT (Clinical Documentation Improvement Specialist)
- Physician (Plastic Surgery)
- Physician (Psychiatrist)
- Physician (Gynecologist)
- Physician (Compensation and Pension)
- Therapeutic Medical Physicist
- Medical Support Assistant
- Physician (Cardiac Surgeon)
- Physician (Critical Care Medicine)
Visit www.vacareers.va.gov for more information about careers at VA and additional job search options.
Lights, camera, action!
Learn about VA's unique patient population, state-of-the-art technologies and talented professionals working together in a team environment. You, too, can make a difference at VA! View VA's television commercials.
A description of employee benefits is available on the US Office of Personnel Management Employment and Benefits page.* Please note that benefits may differ for clinical occupations including physicians and registered nurses.
IMPORTANT NOTE regarding applicant eligibility: Status Candidates include: 1) Current or former Federal civilian employees who hold or held a non-temporary appointment; 2) Veterans eligible for Veterans’ preference or separated from the armed forces under honorable conditions after 3 years or more of continuous military service; and 3) People with non-competitive appointment eligibility.
*External link disclaimer: By clicking on these links, you will leave the VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System web site. These links are provided for your convenience only. All links will open a new window (or tab) to USAJOBS, the U.S. Government's official system for federal jobs and employment information.
VA Job Applications and Forms
Application instructions specific to each job posting can be found at the end of the announcement. Some positions require you to apply online, while others require that you submit a paper application directly to each VA facility where you desire employment.
VA has several different application forms based on your occupation type. Look in the table below to find the correct application for your occupation, as well as additional required forms.
Responding to a Job Announcement
Be sure to follow the application instructions given in the job announcement. They are your primary guide for responding to a posted opening. Here are additional reminders for submitting an application:
- Please send your signed, completed application and any other required forms to the Organization Contact at the Organization Address, both of which are listed at the end of the job announcement.
- Write the Announcement Number, also listed at the end of the job announcement, on your application.
- Keep a copy of the entire application package for your records.
The documents below are in PDF format. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view them. Acrobat Reader software can be downloaded for free.
|Form Number||Form Description|
|Download 10-2850||Application for Physicians, Dentists, Podiatrists, Optometrists, and Chiropractors|
|Download 10-2850A||Application for Advanced Practice Nurse, Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist, Nurse Practitioner, and Registered Nurse|
|Download 10-2850C||Application for Associated Health Occupations|
|Download 10-2850D||Application for Health Professions Trainees|
|Download OF-306||Declaration for Federal Employment form|
|Download OPM Form 1203 FX||Qualifications and Availability Form C and Occupational Questionnaire|
|Download SF 15||Application for 10-point Veterans Preference|
|Download US Application
|Use this cover page when faxing application materials for jobs posted by a Delegated Examining Unit, or in other limited cases when instructions indicate a fax will be accepted.|