Volunteers provide many important functions and help make our patients' stay more enjoyable. Volunteers can perform a number of services, and a volunteer's talents are closely matched with one of our many assignments.
Current Special Needs
- H.J. Heinz Campus
- Shopping Trip Escorts
- Ambassadors/Info Desk Volunteers
General Volunteer Assignments
- Nursing - Assist the nursing staff with patient care.
- Library - Assist the librarian, help patients use special visual aid equipment, deliver books to patient rooms and stock book racks.
- Escort - Escort patients to various clinics for physical therapy or areas such as the chapel, barber shop, recreation, ceramics, and medical clinics.
- Pharmacy - Assist the pharmacist and deliver supplies to the patient care units.
- Medical Media - Answer phones, track AV Equipment, record job requests, fold brochures, pack and deliver printed materials.
- Food and Nutrition - Assist patients to complete or select menus, assist patients with meals - (opening containers, cutting food into bite portions, feeding).
- Recreation - Assist with arts and crafts projects, play bedside games, assist on field trips, show bedside movies, help therapists with bowling, card games, popcorn parties and other various activities.
- Ceramics - Assist in clinic by pouring and cleaning molds and helping patients paint.
- Speech and Audiology - Motivate and encourage patients with their assignments.
- Chaplain - Assist selected patients by escorting them to the chapel for religious services.
- Radiology - Escort patients and file x-rays.
- Office Assistant - Type, file, answer phones, keep records, data entry in various offices within the medical center.
- Ambassador Volunteers - Greet outpatients, guests, visitors and patients families, answer phones and transfer calls. This assignment will take place at the main information desk.
- Alzheimer's Program - Assist with exercise and arts and crafts programs.
- Day Treatment and Adult Day Care - Assist with escort, arts and crafts, exercise programs and other recreational patient activities.
- Radiation Therapy - Run errands and escort patients.
- DAV Transportation - Use vans to transport Veterans from home to the medical centers.
- Medical Clinics - Greet and visit with Veteran patients, run errands.
- Blood Bank - Alphabetize 3x5 cards, help with drinks and snacks.
- Coffee Program - Prepare and serve coffee and refreshments.
- Surgical Waiting Room - Greet families, serve coffee, meet with medical staff and provide information to families.