VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System
Employment, Credentialing and Training
In order to conduct any research activity at VAPHS, all research personnel must satisfy the following requirements:
- be a current VA employee or be appointed on a Without Compensation (WOC) basis
- complete the credentialing process
- complete all required training
WOC Employment & Credentialing
- Individuals who are not paid employees of VAPHS and will be conducting VA research must apply for an appointment on a Without Compensation (WOC) basis. All WOC appointments are valid for 12 months and MUST be renewed on an annual basis.
- In order to apply for a WOC appointment, the following documents must be completed, as applicable, by the appointee and VAPHS supervisor. Please note: The processing time for a new WOC appointment is approximately 3 weeks following submission of all completed, required documents. Trainings may be taken simultanelously. Additional processing time for credentialing and privileging may be required if the WOC appointee holds a US healthcare/professional license (or is eligible to hold a US healthcare/professional license by virtue of education/training).
- Required document for all new WOC appointments:
- Memo Requesting WOC employment (from a VA supervisor)
- Research Scope of Practice
- Applicant's Statement of Selective Service Registration Status
- Form I-9 (Employment eligibility verification)
- Policy Prohibiting Patient Abuse
- Form SF 61 (Appointment Affidavits)
- Form OF-306 (Declaration for Federal Employment)
- Intellectual Property Agreement
- NEW applicants must provide two pieces of identification (e.g., Social Security Card, Driver's License, Passport, etc.). Non US-Citizens, or individuals holding alien residence status, must provide a copy of the original Visa and/or Residence Card. Please also note that in certain situations you will be asked to complete additional paperwork once your information has been received. The Research Office will notify you if that is the case.
- 2.b.1 VAPHS Research WOC Credentialing & Privileging Form
Keep in mind:
Independent Licensed Practitioners are individuals who hold an independent professional license (e.g., physician, dentist, podiatrist, optometrist, social worker, psychologist, psychiatrist, audiologist, speech pathologist, physician assistant, nurse practitioner, clinical nurse specialist or nurse anesthetist).
Dependent Licensed Practitioners are individuals who hold a dependent professional license (e.g., including but not limited to registered nurse, pharmacist, occupational therapist, physical therapist)
Complete all training related to your work as designated in the VAPHS Training Requirements document. It is recommended that training be done while waiting for the processing of WOC paperwork.
Education Verification and Scope of Practice
The following research specific forms must also be submitted, as applicable:
- Education Verification Form – This document must be completed by all research personnel with the exception of Licensed Independent Practitioners.
- Research Scope of Practice Statement – This document must be completed by all research personnel and outlines the specific research duties and responsibilities the staff member will have. Each person must have a scope of practice. If a staff member already has a scope and will be taking on additional responsibilities an updated scope, including these responsibilities, must be completed and submitted.
- Request for Staff Access to Secured Area – *To be completed ONLY if staff will be accessing the Animal Research Facility. This form must be completed for each staff member needing access.
- Application for Access to Research Secured Area – *To be completed ONLY if space in the Animal Research Facility is needed for the conduct of your study.
Staff needing access to the VA computer network must contact Stephanie Partee. Please note: All training must be completed before access will be granted.
All completed credentialing paperwork should be submitted to:
Research Office Building
Mail Code 151
Pittsburgh, PA 15240
Questions or comments? Contact us.