VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System
Eligible Veterans may receive round-trip transportation services from their home to the medical center to receive medical care.
If you meet the criteria below, you may be eligible for mileage reimbursement or special mode transport in association with obtaining VA health care services.
You qualify if:
- you have a service-connected (SC) rating of 30 percent or more, or
- you are traveling for treatment of a SC condition, or
- you receive a VA pension, or
- your income does not exceed the maximum annual VA pension rate, or
- you are traveling for a scheduled compensation or pension examination
You qualify for special mode transportation if:
- your medical condition requires an ambulance or a specially equipped van as determined by a VA clinician, and
- you meet one of the eligibility criteria in 1 through 4 above, and
- the travel is pre-authorized (authorization is not required for emergencies if a delay would be hazardous to life or health)
For more information about the eligibility for mileage reimbursement, special mode transportation, or current mileage rates, please visit the VA Beneficiary Travel Benefits web page.
Sign up for a Direct Express Debit MasterCard® to receive your federal benefits payments electronically.
How to sign up:
Visit the agent cashier at our University Drive and H.J. Heinz campuses or the check-in desk at other VA Pittsburgh health care facilities. You will be asked to complete a short form authorizing direct deposit to the new debit card.
The benefits of the debit card include:
- Safe – No risk of lost or stolen checks or cash.
- Easy – Money is posted to your card account on payment day. No waiting for the mail.
- Convenient – Make purchases and pay bills anywhere Debit MasterCard® is accepted. Use your card to get cash at retail locations, ATMs, banks and credit unions. There are no fees for using the card to make purchases. (See brochure for withdrawal and optional fees.)
- Recommended – The Direct Express® card is recommended by the Department of the Treasury and brings you into compliance with federal law.
Call 877-597-3055, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. EST or visit https://fiscal.treasury.gov/GoDirect/
Beneficiary Travel Claims Disagreements
Make sure your records are up to date to determine if you are eligible for mileage reimbursement or special mode transport.
If you would like to appeal a beneficiary travel claim that has been denied, complete VA form 4107, which requires that you:
- Submit a Notice of Disagreement
- Give us evidence we do not already have that may lead us to change our decision.
If your claim is denied, you will receive a Statement of Case, explaining VA’s decision to deny the benefits, along with VA form 9, which allows you to appeal your claim to the Board of Veterans Appeals.
H.J. Heinz campus
University Drive campus
Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.