VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System
Pittsburgh Fisher House
The Pittsburgh Fisher House is a 10-bedroom "home away from home" and provides a place for visiting families to stay, free of charge, while their loved ones receive inpatient medical care at VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System. The Pittsburgh Fisher House is professionally furnished and features a common kitchen, laundry facilities, spacious dining room, living room with a library, and toys for children.
Who can stay at the VA Pittsburgh Fisher House?
- Guests must have a family member (Veteran or active duty service member) currently receiving inpatient care at VA Pittsburgh.
- Guests must be medically stable and able to independently care for themselves and/or other family members.
- The Veteran receiving care and/or the guest must have a permanent residence that is located more than 50 miles from VA Pittsburgh.
- Guests must be willing to abide by all house guidelines and regulations.
- Minor children are welcome, but they must be under the supervision of family members at all times.
- Families may only occupy one room, and each room has a maximum occupancy of four individuals.
How do I request a room?
A consult must be placed by a VA social worker or provider for a family to stay at the Fisher House. We recommend that you contact the clinic or provider scheduling the procedure for which you will be hospitalized and request to speak to a social worker or provider to place a Fisher House consult for your family. If you are already admitted at VAPHS, ask that a social worker be paged to come speak with you and your family.
The social worker will conduct a brief screening with you or your family member to ensure that whomever is requesting to stay at the Fisher House meets all eligibility requirements. Once it is determined that all eligibility requirements are met, then the social worker/provider will complete a Fisher House consult, which is a request to the Fisher House Manager for processing. Once the Fisher House manager receives the consult, the guest(s) are added to the Fisher House wait list.
Because we are almost always at capacity and operate on a first come, first serve basis we are unable to inform you of room availability until the first day of your requested stay. The Pittsburgh Fisher House Manager will contact the guest(s) by 10 a.m. the first day of the requested stay to inform guest(s) of room availability.
Please note: Completing a consult does not mean that you have a reservation – we do not take reservations. Your stay at the Pittsburgh Fisher House is dependent upon the availability of space and all prospective guests are required to go through the above screening process.
If you have further questions regarding a stay at the Fisher House, please call 412-360-2030 or visit www.pittsburghfisherhouse.org for more information.